Completed Qualifying Exam

I am a trained physiotherapist who has completed the Alliance credentialing and passed the written (QE) exam.
I am looking to be licensed in a Canadian Province.

Both Canadian and internationally educated physiotherapists, must complete the National Physiotherapy Competency Examination (PCE) prior to obtaining full licensure. There are two components to the PCE exam: a multiple choice written exam (referred to as the qualifying exam or QE) and a practical –clinical exam.

  • Once you have passed your QE (part1) component of the PCE then you may apply for a sponsored registration in Nova Scotia ….

Refer to Flow Chart and  Document Checklist and Registration Guide

Registration information for the applicants who have completed the QE:

  • Graduate of a Canadian, or non Canadian, University Physiotherapy Degree Program
  • Completed the QE (written part 1) of the Physiotherapy National Exam (PCE)
  • Registered for the clinical component (part 2) but have not yet completed it
      And are
    • A Canadian citizen or are legally entitled to work in Canada.

Applicants who have passed the QE (Part 1) of the Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE), and have registered for but not yet undertaken the clinical/ part 2 of the exam, may apply for a Practicing (Sponsored) license to practice in Nova Scotia. This is a provisional registration and requires you to have a licensed, practicing physiotherapist as a Sponsor. The Practicing Sponsored registration is for a limited time period of 12 months to allowing you to practice in Nova Scotia until the next sitting of the clinical (part 2) of the PCE.

Applicants for this registration must submit proof of being enrolled in the PCE process and must work in a Supervised practice situation. This requires the applicant to arrange for a sponsor with a minimum of two years practice experience and to provide the Registrar with the completed Sponsor Form prior to completion of registration. Sponsorship Guidelines and report forms are located on the NSCP website under the Sponsored Practice. The Nova Scotia College of Physiotherapists, upon issuing the Practicing Sponsored License requires the member to sit the next available Clinical exam. If the member fails their initial attempt at the clinical/part 2 of the PCE, he/she must sit at the next offering of the exam. Members who do not pass part 2 of the PCE within two sittings or one year, whichever comes first, will have their license revoked. Candidates who pass both part 1 and part 2 of the PCE are eligible for full practicing registration/license in the Nova Scotia College of Physiotherapists upon submitting proof of successful completion to the Registrar.

In order to be granted a Practicing (Sponsored) License you must complete the Online Registration for licensure in the Nova Scotia College of Physiotherapists (NSCP). Please review the Guidelines and the registration checklist and complete your Registration and submit the following documents:

  • A notarized copy of your physiotherapy diploma/degree   (or letter from convocating University in the interim)
  • A photocopy of your birth certificate / or passport id / or proof of immigrant status
  • Payment of current registration fee as appropriate in Canadian funds
  • Proof of current Professional Liability Insurance
  • Completed Sponsor Form 
  • passport size photograph (Not necessary if using passport id)
  • Updated Resume/Curriculum Vitae with a chronological listing of previous education & employment, including a description of your clinical and non-clinical experience
  • Proof of successful completion of the QE process of the Physiotherapy National Exam (PCE) and registration for the Clinical exam. ( or proof of  PCE completion if process is completed)
  •  Background Check Documents (Vulnerable Sector Check for Canada and /or International Criminal record check if you have worked outside of Canada)

*PLEASE NOTE: The completion of the licensing process may take up to a maximum of 5 business days after the College receives all fees and documentation.